
Port Elgin Main Beach and Southampton Beach have been posted as unsafe for swimming.
Grey Bruce Public Health says water-sampling results showed bacterial levels exceeding Ontario Ministry of Health standards.
The beach postings will remain in effect until further testing shows levels have returned to within the acceptable range for safe swimming/bathing.
The health unit says water samples were taken from the two beaches earlier this week. Further samples will be collected Thursday.
“While we know residents and visitors want to enjoy these final weeks of August and make the most of summer, we respectfully ask that everyone follow this advisory and avoid swimming at Port Elgin Main Beach and Southampton Beach until the postings are lifted,” says Grey Bruce Public Health Senior Manager Chimere Okoronkwo. “Swimming in water with elevated bacterial levels can increase the risk of illness or infection.”
Public Health says even if a beach is not posted as unsafe for swimming, it’s best to monitor water conditions in real-time and avoid swimming 24 to 48 hours after heavy rainfall, or if you can’t see your feet in waist-deep water.
Grey Bruce Public Health operates a beach water monitoring program during the summer months to test the water at high-use beaches in Bruce and Grey counties for E. coli levels. You can find more on the health unit’s recreational water monitoring program here.


