Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation
News Centre

News Centre

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Attack Edge Frontenacs

Kingston | by Bayshore News Staff  

Ethan Szypula had three goals to help the attack beat Kingston 4-3 in OT

After Aidan Dudas found the back of the net three times on Thursday night in Peterborough, Ethan Szypula decided it was his turn to do so on Friday night in Kingston.

The overage forward scored three goals, including the overtime winner, to lead the Owen Sound Attack to a thrilling 4-3 decision over the Eastern Conference powerhouse Frontenacs in game two of the Attack’s three game swing.

Nick Suzuki also scored on the evening, with Alan Lyszczarczyk and Brady Lyle chipping in with two point performances in the win.

A fast paced opening period saw Owen Sound outshoot the Fronts 11-7, but both Olivier Lafreniere and Jeremy Helvig were up to the task of turning aside every puck directed their way.

With the netminders sharp through 20:00, the Attack and Kingston would look to the 2nd period in search of the game’s 1st goal.

Looking to build on the momentum gained from Thursday night’s win in Peterborough, Owen Sound was desperate to make sure they got on the board first and that’s exactly what they did.

With 6:25 gone in the middle stanza, Ethan Szypula went to work in the corner to the left of Kingston’s Helvig before firing the puck out to Brady Lyle at the point. Lyle quickly unleashed a shot on net, where Szypula had sprinted tp in search of a rebound.

The overage forward found exactly what he was looking for too, and he was able to tap home the loose puck for his 10th goal of the season and a 1-0 Attack lead.

Alan Lyszczarczyk also assisted on the play, which – unfortunately for Owen Sound – came just three minutes before Linus Nyman tied the game at one on a pretty passing play by the Frontenacs.

That Kingston goal only served to fire the Bears up though, and the trio of Lyle, Lyszczarczyk, and Szypula hooked up again to restore Owen Sound’s advantage no less than 67 seconds after the game tying goal was scored.

Szypula would put the biscuit in the basket again, picking up his 2nd of the evening after playing a little give and go with Lyszczarczyk to open up a hole behind Helvig and give the London native an avenue to score at 11:07 of the 2nd. Brady Lyle also picked up an assist on the play, making it multipoint nights for each of he, Szypula, and Lyszczarczyk.

Owen Sound’s 2nd of the game made it 2-1, a score that would stand until the Attack doubled their advantage nearly 7:00 into the 3rd period.

With a delayed penalty upcoming to the Fronts, and right after Owen Sound successfully killed off a minor to Trent Bourque, Nick Suzuki was sprung on a long pass by Aidan Dudas and made no mistake in beating Helvig for his 26th of the year to give the Attack a 3-1 lead. Jacob Friend also notched an assist on the play.

That two goal advantage didn’t last too long for the visitors though.

After both Bourque and Daylon Groulx were whistled for minor infractions at the same time, Kingston was able to capitalize on a two-man advantage and draw within one at the 10:31 mark of the 3rd period thanks to Jakob Brahaney’s 5th goal of the season.

Kingston wasn’t finished there, either.

Just after Owen Sound had returned to full strength, Kevin Hancock was hauled down off of a faceoff that was missed, and Linus Nyman was able to score his 2nd of the game and draw the teams level at three goals apiece with only 7:00 to play in the game.

Despite another late penalty call against the Attack, Kingston was unable to complete the comeback and get the regulation win, but they did force overtime – guaranteeing each team a point in the tightly contested affair.

Desperate for every point though and in the midst of an intense fight for home ice in the 2018 OHL Playoffs, Owen Sound was desperate for the win.

And with 1:16 remaining in regulation, Ethan Szypula gave them just that.

Racing down the right hand wall after accepting a pass from netminder Olivier Lafreniere, Szypula unleashed a snapshot to beat Jeremy Helvig, cap off his hat-trick, and give the Attack the full two points over the Frontenacs.

For his efforts though, Szypula was named just the game’s 3rd star, with Kingston’s Cliff Pu and Linus Nyman picking up Mac Taylor Corporation 2nd and 1st stars respectively.

Lafreniere made 33 saves on 36 shots on the night, with the Mark McDade Chestnut Park Shots on Goal finishing at 43-36 for Owen Sound.

The Attack will now enjoy a day off in Ottawa before clashing with the 67’s at 2:00pm on Sunday, Feb. 11.

Fans can tune into the game on Kia of Owen Sound/Terry’s Trailer Service Bear Radio or watch live on Rogers Local 53.

Owen Sound will play their next home game on Wednesday, Feb. 14 against the London Knights at 7:00pm. Tickets are limited to standing room only and can be purchased at the MacVicar & McComb ReMax Attack Box Office.

This season of Attack Hockey is brought to you by Lerners Personal Injury Lawyers and Bertrand & Muzzell Paralegal Services.

share this story

Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation
© 2020 Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation

Web Site by Websmart Inc