Iran's judiciary has announced that arrests have been made over the accidental shootdown of a Ukrainian passenger plane that killed all 176 people on board, including 57 Canadians.
The announcement came shortly after Iran's president called for a special court to be set up to investigate the downing last week of the plane by Iranian forces.
Officials said "extensive investigations have taken place and some individuals are arrested."
However, it's not known how many people have been detained, or on what charges.
On Saturday, Iran finally admitted that its Revolutionary Guard shot down the Ukrainian plane by mistake.
The plane, which was on its way to the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv, was carrying 167 passengers and nine crew members, including 57 Canadians when it crashed last Wednesday morning.
Iran shot down the plane when it was bracing for possible U.S. retaliation for a ballistic missile attack on two military bases housing U.S. troops in Iraq, which was carried out to avenge the killing a few days prior of Revolutionary Guard General Qassem Soleimani in an American airstrike in Baghdad.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that the victims of the Ukrainian airliner shot down in Iran would still be alive if there had been no tensions in the region.
Trudeau said "I think if there were no tensions, if there was no escalation recently in the region, those Canadians would be right now home with their families"
U.S. military officials confirmed yesterday that American troops were informed of an impending missile barrage about 2 hours before their air base in Iraq was struck by Iran.
Meanwhile, officials from the Transportation Safety Board of Canada say Iran is giving Canadian investigators access to the "black box" flight data recorders from downed Ukrainian International Airlines Flight PS752, but Canada's role in the investigation beyond that remains unclear.