The Province continues to address medium-sized hospital funding inequality by allocating $1.8 billion for hospital investments.
Locally. under Ontario’s 2021 Budget, Muskoka Algonquin Healthcare (MAHC) received a funding increase of 2.5%, and West Parry Sound Health Centre received an increase of 3.2%. This will improve the local hospital’s abilities to plan future initiatives and reduce surgical backlogs created during the pandemic.
“West Parry Sound Health Centre is grateful to MPP Norm Miller and our colleagues at the Ministry of Health and Ontario Health North for this significant investment of operational funding that will support us in our mission to improve the health status of everyone that we are privileged to serve,” adds Donald Sanderson, CEO of the West Parry Sound Health Centre. “Mr. Miller’s continued support and advocacy for healthy communities will help us to meet the significant health care needs and challenges of the future even as we strive to provide exceptional care and service in a post-pandemic environment.”
Natalie Bubela, President & CEO of MAHC, says this increase will stabilize operations, and provide MAHC with appropriate funding that returns hospital operations to pre-pandemic levels.
“We have made significant strides to reschedule postponed procedures and exams while continuing to respond to the unique challenges that the pandemic has placed on hospitals,” says Bubela. “We are grateful for this critical support from the provincial government and thank Mr. Miller and other political leaders for their continued advocacy for Muskoka’s hospitals.”
This includes an increase of $778 million to annual operating funding. Allowing hospitals to meet current and future demands for services.
“Historically, medium-sized hospitals have been disadvantaged by the funding model. I am pleased to see continued action to address longstanding funding inequities in small and medium-sized hospitals,” says Miller. “In the past, hospitals had to request additional funds each year and they were never guaranteed approval. This minimum 1% annual increase of base funding allows hospitals to focus on providing care and planning for the future.”
These allocations represent a 3.4% increase in the funding for Ontario’s hospital sector. All publicly funded hospitals will receive a minimum of a 1% increase to help them keep pace with patient needs and to increase access to high-quality care for patients and families across Ontario. This funding increase is in addition to funding provided last year, where the 2020 budget included a 3% increase for base funding for Ontario hospitals.
We said from day one that we would build more hospital bed capacity and fix hallway healthcare.
For the third straight year, our government is increasing investments in hospitals across the province. That's great news for Ontario's health care system. pic.twitter.com/N1T4PqbStB
— Doug Ford (@fordnation) July 27, 2021



