Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation
News Centre

News Centre

Thursday, March 26, 2015

'Prophet' Committed To Stand Trial

Owen Sound | by Manny Paiva  

Preliminary hearing ends for Fred King and he is ordered to stand trial on 24 charges.

Fred King, seen here in a police photo released in 2014, has been committed to stand trial on 24 charges including assault and sexual assault after alleged incidents at the Church of Jesus Christ Restored in Chatsworth that span several years.  

The man known as "the Prophet" has been committed to stand trial.

Fred King was the leader of the Church of Jesus Christ Restored in Chatsworth.

His preliminary hearing wrapped up in Owen Sound on Wednesday -- and he was committed to stand trial to face 24 total charges.

The charges that date from 1978 to 2008 include sexual exploitation, sexual interference, three counts of sexual assault, three counts of assault causing bodily harm, four counts of uttering death threats, two counts of assault with a weapon and 10 counts of assault.

No trial date has been set.

King's next scheduled court appearance is May 4th.

King's brother Judson has also been committed to stand trial on charges of assault with a weapon, sexual assault and three counts of assault between 1981 and 2007.

The 60 year old has elected to have a trial by judge and jury, and his next court appearance is April 7th.

Because of a publication ban, no information can be released about the allegations.

Fred King was referred to as the "The Prophet" by worshippers in the church.

He had disappeared after former members of the Church of Jesus Christ Restored went to police in 2012 with allegations of physical and sexual abuse.
But King was arrested in Hamilton on April 11, 2014.

The book "Property: The True Story of a Polygamous Church Wife" was released in 2013, and an Owen Sound woman described several acts of assault she suffered before escaping.

She was a church member for several decades, and was one of several wives of the "Prophet" before finally breaking free a few years ago.

As a result of the allegations, the OPP launched a 16 month probe into the church.

On April 7th, 2014 -- police announced charges had been filed against the two brothers.



share this story

Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation
© 2019 Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation

Web Site by Websmart Inc