OHL Announces First Round Schedule for 2012 Playoffs
Toronto, ON - The 2011-12 OHL Playoff picture is set with all eight first round matchups and schedules determined.
The top eight teams in each conference qualify for the OHL playoffs with the division leaders ranked one-two in each Conference. In the first round of the playoffs, first place plays eighth, second plays seventh, third plays sixth and fourth plays fifth in each conference. Teams are re-seeded within their division after each round with the champions from each conference playing in the OHL Championship Series.
The 2012 OHL Playoffs are scheduled to begin on Thursday March 22. Second round match-ups will begin on April 4 with the Conference Championships to start April 18 and the OHL Championship Series to start on May 1. The QMJHL’s Shawinigan Cataractes will host the 2012 MasterCard Memorial Cup May 17-27.
The London Knights have captured the Hamilton Spectator Trophy as 2011-12 OHL Regular Season Champions. This marks their fifth Hamilton Spectator Trophy in the last 10 years.
Here are the standings following all games played on Saturday, March 17, 2012:
Eastern Conference Standings:
1. Niagara IceDogs: 95 points (46-18-0-3) with 1 game remaining (at MISS) – Have clinched Eastern Conference and will host Oshawa Generals.
2. Ottawa 67’s: 88 points (40-19-5-3) with 1 game remaining (at BRAM) – Have clinched East Division title and will host the Belleville Bulls.
3. Barrie Colts: 85 points (40-23-3-2) Have clinched the third seed and will host the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors.
4. Brampton Battalion: 80 points (35-22-3-7) with 1 game remaining (OTT) – Have clinched fourth seed and will host the Sudbury Wolves.
5. Sudbury Wolves: 76 points (35-26-4-2) with 1 game remaining (at KGN) – Have clinched fifth seed and will play the Brampton Battalion.
6. Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors: 73 points (33-27-1-6) with 1 game remaining (NIAG) – Have clinched sixth seed and will play the Barrie Colts.
7. Belleville Bulls: 71 points (35-32-1-0) Have clinched seventh seed and will play the Ottawa 67's.
8. Oshawa Generals: 69 points (31-29-4-3) with 1 game remaining (PBO) – Have clinched eighth seed and will play the Niagara IceDogs (Belleville Bulls would be seventh seed if teams tied in points by nature of having more victories than the Generals.
Western Conference Standings:
1. London Knights: 99 points (49-18-0-1) Have clinched Hamilton Spectator Trophy and will host the Windsor Spitfires.
2. Plymouth Whalers: 97 points (47-18-2-1) Have clinched West Division title and will host the Guelph Storm.
3. Kitchener Rangers: 86 points (42-23-1-1) with 1 game remaining (at SSM) – Have clinched the third seed and will host the Owen Sound Attack.
4. Sarnia Sting: 75 points (34-27-2-5) Have clinched fourth seed and will host the Saginaw Spirit.
5. Saginaw Spirit: 74 points (33-27-1-7) Have clinched fifth seed and will play the Sarnia Sting.
6. Owen Sound Attack: 71 points (32-28-3-4) with 1 game remaining (GUE) – Have clinched sixth seed and will play the Kitchener Rangers.
7. Guelph Storm: 68 points (31-31-2-4) Have clinched seventh seed and will play the Plymouth Whalers.
8. Windsor Spitfires: 65 points (29-32-5-2) Have clinched the eighth seed and will play the London Knights.