Owen Sound native Adam Jones was selected third overall by the Colorado Mammoth in the National Lacrosse League Draft Wednesday in Toronto.
Jones was an exceptionally high profile player in Minor Lacrosse and graduated to play Junior B and briefly with the Senior Woodsmen in Owen Sound.
He won the Minto Cup playing for Orangeville in Junior A Lacrosse and has spent several seasons playing field lacrosse for Canisius College in New York State.
Jones is thrilled to be drafted high and more thrilled to be going to Colorado where his cousin, Mat MacLeod, is also a member of the Mammoth
He says the Colorado franchise is a solid operation and enjoys strong crowd support.
Going third overall didn't concern Jones. He says the two players selected in front of him are both tremendous players and potentially, the needs of the organization that drafted those players made them more appealing choices.
Currently Jones is serving as a student-teacher at St Mary's High School in Owen Sound. He will graduate from College in Buffalo in December and then plans to move to Denver for the lacrosse season.
click the audio icon at www.bayshorebroadcasting.ca for an interview with Colorado Mammoth draft pick Adam Jones.
2011 NATIONAL LACROSSE LEAGUE ENTRY DRAFT RESULTS
1. Philadelphia - Kevin Crowley - Stony Brook University
2. Rochester - Stephen Keogh - Syracuse University
3. Colorado - Adam Jones - Canisius College ( Owen Sound )
4. Minnesota - Jordan MacIntosh - Rochester Institute of Technology
5. Rochester* - Johnny Powless - Six Nations, ON
6. Minnesota - Evan Kirk - Hobart College
7. Calgary - Travis Cornwall - Coquitlam, BC
8. Colorado - Dan Coates - Canisius College
9. Buffalo - Jeremy Thompson - Syracuse University
10. Rochester - Joel White - Syracuse University
11. Calgary - Greg Harnett - Orangeville, ON
12. Minnesota - Corbyn Tao - Robert Morris University
13. Colorado - Jordan McBride - Stony Brook University
14. Colorado - Jamie Lincoln - Hofstra University
15. Buffalo - Jeff Cornwall - Conquitlam, BC
16. Colorado - Tye Belanger - Peterborough
17. Toronto - Jesse Gamble - Cornell University
18. Calgary - Frankie Scigliano - New Westminster, BC
19. Minnesota - Jay Card - Hofstra University
20. Edmonton - Jesse Fehr - Duke University
21. Washington - Mike Mallory - Delta, BC
22. Washington - Adam McGourty - Brampton, ON
23. Rochester - Kyle Andrews - Brampton, ON
24. Buffalo - Connor Daly - Burlington, ON
25. Buffalo - Jerome Thompson - Onondaga C.C.
26. Toronto - Pete Rennie - Peterborough, ON
27. Minnesota - David Earl - Notre Dame University
28. Philadelphia - Steve Fryer - Coquitlam, AB
29. Minnesota - Brian Karalunas - Villanova University
30. Colorado - Craig England - Orangeville, ON
31. Minnesota - Patrick Smith - Robert Morris
32. Rochester - Shane Cater - Six Nations, ON
33. Buffalo - Billy Bitter - University of North Carolina
34. Washington - Trevor Moore - Robert Morris
35. Toronto - Eric Bissell - Peterborough, ON
36. Rochester - Aaron Tackaberry - Calgary,AB
37. Philadelphia - Matt Stefurak - University of Delaware
38. Colorado - Joey Cupido - Six Nations, ON
39. Minnesota - Jeremy Boltus - Army
40. Rochester - Cal Kitson - Brampton, ON
41. Buffalo - Dwight Bero - Dartmouth University
42. Calgary - Barclay Hickey - Okatoks, AB
43. Washington - Brett Hickey - Windsor, ON
44. Toronto - Kyle Davis - Brampton, ON
45. Rochester - Kraig Maracle - Six Nations, ON
46. Calgary - Darren Kinnear - Edmonton, AB
47. Colorado - Jovan Miller - Syracuse University
48. Minnesota - Todd Baxter - Denver University
49. Rochester - Grant Catalino - University of Maryland
50. Toronto - Phil Rawn - Kitchener, ON
51. Buffalo** - Lloyd Chrysler - Tuscarora University
52. Washington - Justin Salt - New Westminster, BC
53. Toronto - Mark Burnett - Mars Hill College
* The Calgary Roughnecks traded the 5th overall selection in the 2011 Entry Draft to Rochester in exchange for a 1st Round selection in the 2012 Entry Draft, and Shawn Evans.
** The Calgary Roughnecks traded the 51st overall selection in the 2011 Entry Draft to Buffalo in exchange for their 6th Round selection in the 2012 Entry Draft.