Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation
News Centre

News Centre


Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Wakestock Wants Back

Collingwood | by Catherine Thompson  

Wakestock Festival organizers want to return to Collingwood

Wakestock organizers want to come back to Collingwood this year.

SBC Events Manager Todd Elsley spoke to Collingwood council on Monday night to ask that the event be allowed to return.

Council will be asking staff to prepare a report on last year's event including comments from the OPP and fire department.

It will also include a copy of the agreement reached with Clearview Township council to hold part of the event at the GNE grounds.

Elsley expects about two thousand people to take in the indoor entertainment and camping at the fairgrounds with shuttle service to the main venue at Millenium Park, where the event's been held since 2009.

Something else new this year is the promotion of social responsibility.

Elsley says he's met with police and they say they had no problems with the event last year, but he still wants to make sure the 10 thousand people who come respect the town and the people who live in it.

He adds it's easy to get that message out with the use of social networking media.

Police did report in a news release after the weekend event last year that there were 31 calls for liquor licence violations and that they handed out so many liquor charges the cells were full during the weekend.

Elsley says there will be security at both venues through out the weekend.

He adds the event brings three million dollars into the local economy.

If approved by the town, the event will be held August 5th to the 7th.

 

share this story



Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation
© 2019 Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation

Web Site by Websmart Inc