Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation
News Centre

News Centre


Monday, March 16, 2020

COVID-19 Update For Monday

Regional | by Jill Young  

Here's what's happening surrounding the coronavirus update for Monday March 16th.

There are 145 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Ontario.

The latest case is a Canada Border Services Agency officer at Pearson Airport who tested positive for the virus.

They had the biggest single day jump so far in cases yesterday as the province confirmed 42 new cases - Two of those cases are in Simcoe Muskoka, two are in the Grey Bruce Region.

BC, Ontario and Alberta have the most confirmed cases in the country.

Meanwhile, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health Christine Elliott, asked hospitals to further implement pandemic plans by carefully ramping down elective surgeries and other non-emergent clinical activity. 

Ontario Minister of Agriculture Food and Rural Affairs Ernie Hardeman also issued a statement regarding panic buying in our grocery stores.

Hardeman said Ontarians can be confident our food supply is robust and that the distribution of it will continue to operate to restock.

They're asking residents to please practice normal grocery buying habits.

-----

All OLG casinos have shut down now.

This after recommendations of the province's Chief Medical Officer of Health related to new precautionary measures for COVID-19. 

OLG will provide an update on when the casinos will re-open, taking into account guidance from public health authorities.

----

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government is "not taking anything off the table" when it comes to additional measures to combat the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic in Canada

That includes shutting down the border to international travellers and implementing mandatory self-isolation.

Trudeau will address Canadians again today.

So far the government and some public health authorities have been advising Canadians returning to Canada from any international destination to take it upon themselves to self-isolate for 14 days and self-monitor for symptoms of coronavirus.

-----

Goodlife Fitness is closing all of their clubs amid the outbreak.

CEO David Patchell-Evans said that the gym chain has made the "difficult but important decision" to close all of its GoodLife Fitness and Fit4Less Clubs in an attempt to limit the spread of the virus.

The company will continue to pay its employees for the next two weeks, and will be suspending member payments as of Tuesday March 17th, and freeze fully paid memberships.

share this story



Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation
© 2020 Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation

Web Site by Websmart Inc