Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation
News Centre

News Centre


Thursday, November 28, 2019

Building At Harrison Park Reopens After Carbon Monoxide Leak

Owen Sound | by Claire McCormack  

The cause of a gas leak Harrison Park's stone building has been fixed.

The cause of a gas leak at Harrison Park's stone building has been fixed and the community building in the popular Owen Sound park has reopened.

Back on November 6th, there was a Carbon Monoxide leak at the stone building while kids were participating in a Forest School program. Many of them were outside at the time, but 13 kids and a handful of adults were taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

City Director of Community Services Pam Coulter says two unit heaters have been permanently decommissioned, "There was a crack in one of the heat exchangers, so they both have been decommissioned."

Coulter says some new duct work has also been added to improve heating.

She says the city is paying the ambulance bills for the those who were transported to hospital. A city bus was used to take others.

Coulter notes the city had the heating systems serviced and checked in late September, "It was an unfortunate incident and we're glad that everybody is safe and sound."

It's not part of the building's code requirements to have Carbon Monoxide detectors but Coulter says they've added two now anyway, "Just as an extra precaution."

share this story



Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation
© 2020 Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation

Web Site by Websmart Inc