Hanover Police are warning the public about the dangers of carfentinal, after a toxicology report confirms that a 57 year old Hanover man’s death this Spring was linked to the dangerous drug.
Carfentinal is on Hanover’s streets, and Police Chief Chris Knoll has a dier warning for those who use.
Knoll strongly encourages those with dependency issues to seek out help and resources.
He says carfentinal is extremely dangerous and even a trace amount is enough to be fatal.
The problem is that carfentinal can be easily cut into illicit drugs without the user ever knowing, as carfentinal cannot be seen, tasted or smelled.
If you are going to use, Knoll says it is important it is never done alone, that they have a naloxone kit and know how to use it, that they never mix with other drugs and they know their tolerance.
Knoll stresses, if someone with addiction problem comes forth to police for help, he says they will get them to the right resources.
Knoll says Hanover Police want to a health safe community and providing resources to those seeking help is a key priority.
He adds calling 211 is also an option, as 211 can provide individuals with information on the available resources within their community.
Knoll says opioid overdose signs include: blue lips or nails, small pupils, shallow breathing, won’t respond to loud shouting and cold and clammy skin to name a few.
On July 11th, the toxicology report came back regarding the death of a 57 year old Hanover man who was found dead in his home on May 31st.
The report indicates that the deceased died from lethal doses of carfentinal.
It is believed that the lethal doses were mixed with methamphentamine or fentanyl.
This is the second carfentinal death in Hanover this year.