Police say a number of recent crimes in Huron County could have been prevented, if residents were more diligent.
So far this year, Huron OPP say they have investigated 92 stolen vehicle incidents.
In 52 per cent of those cases, police say keys were left in the vehicle, or within close proximity of the stolen vehicle.
Failing to lock vehicles is also a concern for law enforcement.
OPP say items left in plain sight become targets for thieves, including power tools, electronic devices, purses, wallets, sunglasses, medication and loose change.
To protect your vehicle, OPP have several tips:
- Always lock your vehicle doors and windows.
- Never leave your keys in the vehicle or in an easily accessible area
- Never leave your vehicle unattended while it is running
- If you have a garage, use it and lock the garage as well as your vehicle inside
- Always park your vehicle in a well-lit area
- Never leave valuable objects or packages in full view. Put them in the trunk if you have to leave them in your vehicle.
- Never leave your purse or wallet in your vehicle.