The numbers speak for themselves.
To date, the OPP report zero fatalities on Highway 6 this year, while the enforcement against stunt driving has resulted in just over 100 charges.
It was part of a report by the Safe Communities Committee to South Bruce Peninsula council on September 18th.
Bruce Peninsula OPP Staff Sgt Paul Richardson says in cooperation with the Safe Communities Committee, MTO, business owners and residents who are affected by Highway 6, they believe the highway has been made safe to this point.
Richardson says there is no doubt social media has played a part in the effort to get people to slow down on Highway 6.
He refers to a photo on social media that saw a family with its camper full of belongings on the side of the road because their vehicle was impounded for stunt driving.
That photo made news headlines and carried the message elsewhere.
By the way, Richardson says the family was not abandoned on the road as police made sure the family and their belongings were taken to a safe area.
Mayor Janice Jackson is very impressed with the progress police are making to make Highway 6 a safer roadway.
In 2017, there were five fatalities from August to October on Highway 6 compared to none so far, in 2018.
Bruce Peninsula #OPP traffic enforcement on Highway 6. A truck pulling tent trailer stopped for stunt driving, traveling at more than twice the speed limit of 80 km/h. #DriveSafe #SlowDown #JourneyResponsibly ^ab pic.twitter.com/09uyQKHbGq— OPP West (@OPP_WR) August 24, 2018
The message that Highway 6, on the Bruce Peninsula, is not a race track needs to be heard. Over 80 drivers charged with stunt driving so far this year. That is double the amount of drivers charged in 2017. #slowdown #JourneyResponsibly ^ab https://t.co/3MUj29fCSD— OPP West (@OPP_WR) August 24, 2018