Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation
News Centre

News Centre


Monday, September 10, 2018

Province-Wide Student Walk-Out Against Sex-Ed Changes

Regional | by Fadi Didi  

September 21st walk-out to oppose Doug Ford government rollback in elementary sex-ed.

A province-wide secondary school walk-out is being organized, in protest of changes to Ontario's sex education curriculum.

The move comes following Premier Doug Ford's replacement of the 2015 elementary sex education program for the curriculum previously used in 1998.

An online petition against the province's move has garnered over 36 thousand signatures.

Indygo Arscott is a grade 11 student at Wexford Collegiate School For The Arts in Toronto, and co-organized a student walk-out for September 21st.

That plan has since evolved to include numerous schools around the Greater Toronto Area.

Arscott tells us students felt "betrayed" by the sex education rollback.

Education Minister Lisa Thompson says parents will be consulted this year on a revised sex education program.

Thompson's comments preceded the filing of a judicial review by the Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario against the reversion of Ontario sex-ed.

Arscott says teachers have been helping in little ways, including encouraging students to wear purple, or getting elementary students involved.

Meantime, the walk-out, named "We The Students Do Not Consent," is expected to run at 1:00 p.m. on September 21st.

The walk-out will be followed by a rally at Queen's Park.


Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation
© 2018 Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation

Web Site by Websmart Inc