When it was built in the 1950s, it served a local industrial need.
Since then the Morrison Dam and Reservoir near Exeter -- which is marking 60 years of operation -- has become a magnet for those studying the area's environment.
The dam opened in 1958, to provide water needed to cool the metal at an Exeter canning factory.
The plant -- now long gone -- packaged local crops and was a major employer in the area.
Since the facility's closure, the Ausable-Bayfield Conservation Authority planted trees along the shore of the reservoir and developed it as a plant and aquatic habitat.
The Morrison Reservoir covers 25 acres, and is one of the area's only inland lakes.
In its second lease on life, the reservoir has become a magnet for kayaking, fishing and bird watching.
A community fundraising drive seeks to raise $290 thousand for a pedestrian bridge downstream of the dam, to join two sections of the South Huron Trail.