Tuesday, June 12, 2018
Chesley House Fire Claims 3 Lives
3 bodies have been recovered, while officials look for a cause for the fatal fire.
Chesley Fire Chief Robert Bell confirms 3 bodies have now been recovered from the scene of that fatal house fire yesterday (Monday).
At this point, the OPP are in charge of releasing information on the case and they have not officially released the victims names.
A Go-Fund-Me page has been set up for the family which states the father and two daughters died in the blaze, while the mother and a baby got out.
That Go-Fund-Me page had a goal of $10,000 which was easily surpassed. ($20,765 at 2:30pm)
Chief Bell says the focus of today's investigation is the cause of that fire.
It totally destroyed one home on 5th Avenue Southwest in Chesley.
A nearby house suffered heavy damage and two other homes on the street had moderate damage.
The Ontario Fire Marshalls office has 2 investigators probing the ruins of the fire.
Lead Investigator Manny Garcia tells Bayshore Broadcasting News the cause of the fire is not considered suspicious but the source of the fire has so far eluded them.
The fire hit a home on 5th Avenue Southwest around 1:20am Monday morning.
Chief Bell says it was in his neighbourhood, only about 200 meters from his home.
Bell says the fire crews arrived to find more than one house was involved in the blaze.
Fire Chief Bell confirms someone from the home went back inside but had to retreat because of the smoke and fire.
That person suffered some minor burns.
Chief Bell says the explosions reported during the fire were acetylene tanks.